Police determine shooting on Lake Road to be a false report from victim with a self-inflicted gunshot

Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Dyersburg Police discuss the alleged shooting at 1517 Lake Road after the victim was transported to the ER at Dyersburg Regional Medical Center. Police later determine the 19-year-old victim had shot himself and falsely reported a home invasion.

Dyersburg Police are saying an incident that was first reported to them on Monday afternoon as a home invasion that resulted in a shooting is now a false report by the victim.

The incident had Dyersburg High School and Dyersburg State Community College on lockdown and multiple law enforcement agencies looking for an alleged suspect.

"The reported home invasion and shooting on Lake Road has been determined to be a self-inflicted injury, and false report to law enforcement," said Dyersburg Police Capt. Steve Isbell. "The incident remains under investigation by the Criminal Investigation Division."

Isbell said police were called at 1:37 p.m. on Monday is response to a home invasion at 1517 Lake Road in Dyersburg. A 19-year-old victim at the residence reported a young white male dressed in black entered the home and after a brief struggle for a weapon the victim was shot in the arm. The victim told police the alleged suspect reportedly ran out of the house after the shooting. The victim was transported by ambulance to Dyersburg Regional Medical Center for treatment for a gunshot to the arm.

Tennessee State Trooper Doug Roberson (left) and DPD Capt. Steve Isbell (right) stand outside the residence on Lake Road as the shooting was still being investigated as a home invasion.

Officers began searching the area and contacted Dyersburg State Community College and Dyersburg High School officials who voluntarily locked down the schools as a safety measure. DSCC Director of Public Information Amy Finch said the DPD's Special Response Team even entered the Glover Building on campus to follow up on a lead. She added the school remained on lockdown until 3:02 p.m.

DPD investigators and Chief Art Heun were at the residence collecting evidence after the incident and officers were still patrolling the area until around 3:30 p.m. Around that time, Isbell said it was determined the incident was a false report and the victim had reportedly shot himself. Isbell said they are not releasing the victim's name at this time and the matter is still under investigation.

View 2 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • why is victim's name being with-held?

    -- Posted by closerlook on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 11:27 AM
  • Glad no one else was hurt...

    -- Posted by Dude2010 on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 11:23 PM
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: