[Masthead] A Few Clouds ~ 72°F  
High: 72°F ~ Low: 47°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Twins die after house fire on Finley St.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Children's toys remain in the front yard of the house that burned on Finley Street in Dyersburg on Tuesday evening. Firefighters were able to get a man to safety that was at a window in the house. One firefighter then hoisted another into the burning house where he was able to locate three children and hand them out the window. One child survived while two twin sisters were later reported dead.
The community is mourning the loss of two 4-year-old twin girls after they died as a result of a house fire on Finley Street in Dyersburg on Tuesday evening. However, firefighters were able to save a man and a small boy from the smoke and flames.

Dyersburg Fire Chief Bob Veal said Dyersburg Fire Department fire crews responded to the house fire at 637 Finley St. just a couple of minutes before midnight on Tuesday evening. When firefighters arrived, the two-story house was ablaze with heavy smoke billowing out of every opening.

A woman believed to live in the house was outside and firefighters secured her so they could begin assessing the situation and extinguish the flames. Firefighters could not enter through the front door and ran to the back of the house to find a 49-year-old man hanging out of a window. As smoke poured out of the window, firefighters were able to get the man and take him to safety. He told the firefighters there were still children inside the house.

After learning of children being inside, Veal said one firefighter immediately hoisted another through a window and into the house. This was done even before firefighters had a chance to douse any of the flames. Once inside, the firefighter was able to find three small children and hand them out the window to awaiting firefighters.

A makeshift memorial has been made to show support for the family that suffered the loss of two sisters on Tuesday evening. Numerous items, including stuffed animals and framed pictures, have been placed on and around the sign outside the home.
Veal said they immediately began performing CPR on the children and they, along with the man, were rushed to Dyersburg Regional Medical Center. The girls were twin sisters, age 4, and the boy who is believed to be their brother is 5 years old. The man, who is believed to be the children's father, and the little boy were soon flown out to area hospitals for further treatment. Their conditions are not known at this time. Sadly, Veal said the girls were later pronounced dead at the hospital. The woman, who is believed to be the children's mother, reportedly did not require medical treatment. Authorities are not releasing the names of the victims at this time.

Three fire engines, one rescue unit, and 20 firefighters responded to the scene and after extinguishing the flames they terminated command at 4:08 a.m.

A neighbor of the family said she was awakened by people knocking on her door and telling her about the fire next door. She said Tuesday night's events were a tragedy and remembers seeing the twins and the little boy always playing in the front yard.

"If one of the twins got too far away, the other would look around for her and make sure she was all right," said the neighbor.

As the house remains quarantined with caution tape around it, friends and family have begun a makeshift memorial to the family by placing stuffed animals and other items on a sign outside the residence.

A friend of the mother came to pay her respects to the family and placed items on the sign on Wednesday afternoon. She said she hopes the family can begin healing after suffering such a heavy loss.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation and fire officials should know more on Thursday. Veal said the situation is sad because of the loss of the two girls. However, he can't overlook the fact that his men were able to work together and get the man and the children out of the burning house.

"At a time when kids are searching for heroes, we have them right here amongst us," said Veal. "Their training took over and they knew what they needed to do. They acted above and beyond the call of duty."

Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on stategazette.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

I am so sorry for the family's loss. Prays to you all.

-- Posted by dyercoresident on Thu, Apr 18, 2013, at 11:07 AM

One firefighter lifts another into the house and he runs to find the children before any attempt has been made to extinguish the fire................

Cannot say excellent job enough. RIP to the little angels that lost their lives.

-- Posted by liveshere on Thu, Apr 18, 2013, at 4:15 PM

Thank you to the true Heroes, the Firefighters!

God Bless each of you and God be with this family.

-- Posted by HiredGun on Thu, Apr 18, 2013, at 4:18 PM

My heart aches for the family. Also, may God always walk with out first responders.

-- Posted by Mister-D on Thu, Apr 18, 2013, at 11:25 PM

My prayers go out to this family for their losses. This is horrible. May God be with them.

-- Posted by lh4choice on Fri, Apr 19, 2013, at 10:31 AM

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: