Trojans win 14AA thriller on sudden-death penalty kick

Friday, March 30, 2018
Dyersburg head coach Greg Stapleton talks to his team about the importance of Thursday’s game prior to kickoff just before rains moved across J. C. Sawyers Stadium during the soccer match between Dyersburg and Crockett County.
State Gazette photo/Jason Peevyhouse


The Trojan soccer team continued its winning ways over the last seven days on Thursday night, but it took a little extra time to get there as Dyersburg won its third straight game – and second straight district battle – 2-1 over Crockett County with a Walton Self sudden-death penalty kick at J.C. Sawyers Stadium.

The game was tied for all but about nine minutes of on-the-field action. Dyersburg took the lead in the first half during 34th minute as senior Logan Byars broke through the Cavalier defense to take a pass then put the ball past the Crockett County goalkeeper to put his team up 1-0 with about six minutes to go until the half.

However, after being shut out for the entire first half, the Cavaliers wasted little time getting on the board during the second 40 minutes of action, getting a goal in the 43rd minute just three minutes into the second half to tie the game at 1-1.

The goal was the lone mark against the Trojans during regulation as the Dyersburg defense kept the Cavaliers in check for much of the night.

Dyersburg’s offense had multiple chances and narrowly missed on more than one occasion as the Cavs were also able to keep the Trojans off the board through the rest of the second half.

With the score still tied after 80 minutes, the contest moved into the first ten minutes of golden goal overtime. In that scenario, the game is decided in sudden-death rules in which the first team that scores wins. However, with the Trojans controlling things for the majority of the first overtime, Dyersburg still couldn’t manage to get one into the goal.

Now tied after a full hour and a half of play, the game moved into a second golden goal overtime period. Much like the first ten minutes, Dyersburg had its chances but just couldn’t get onto the scoreboard as the game ended the second overtime frame still tied at 1-1.

The contest then moved to penalty kicks with Dyersburg taking the first kick as Logan Byars banged it past the Crockett County keeper. Crockett answered on its first attempt then Dyersburg’s Cole Bevis failed in his attempt. Though that put pressure on Dyersburg keeper Cole Hamilton, he came up big and blocked the next Cavalier’s attempt to keep the penalty kicks tied at 1-1. Trojan Matt Staggs put the next shot in but the Cavaliers responded in kind. Dyersburg got another successful penalty kick from Caleb Byars but Crockett answered that as well. Jayvin Brasfield rounded out the first round of Dyersburg kickers with a successful try, which was matched by the Cavaliers to end the first series of penalty kicks still tied.

After the first round of penalty kicks, the second series is contested under sudden-death rules.

Self led the way for the Trojans and kicked home a successful try. That proved to be the difference as the opening kicker in the second round for the Cavaliers’ kick sailed high as Dyersburg took the win.

The win improves Dyersburg’s record to 3-2 and is the team’s third in a row following wins against Obion County Central (8-2, last Friday) and Westview (4-2, Monday). The Trojans return to the pitch on Monday when they host Peabody at 7:15 p.m.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: